When you separate or divorce from your spouse, you may have a right to economic support or property.

Your rights depend on different things, such as whether you were legally married or in a common-law relationship, and if you have children.

Will I get economic support?

In some cases, the law requires a person to pay spousal support to their former spouse. This can apply if you were legally married, in a common-law relationship with children, or in a common-law relationship for at least 3 years without children.

You are entitled to child support if your children live with you. The person who pays is called the “payor.”

Spousal and child support orders in Ontario are enforced by the Family Responsibility Office.  

The FRO will collect support if the payor lives in Canada, the United States and many other countries. If the person who has to pay lives in a country that has not signed an agreement with the government of Ontario, the FRO may not be able to help you.

If you think you are entitled to spousal or child support, seek legal help from us. We will be glad to help you through the separation and divorce process.